April 16, 2019
“The Resurrection of Jesus Christ”
The resurrection of Jesus Christ, three days after He was crucified, changed everything for Him and for us.
In 1 Cor. 15:19, the Apostle Paul wrote, “If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most pitiable.” Thank God, the apostle doesn’t stop there. In the very next verse he declares, “But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.” (1Cor. 15:20).
Christ’s resurrection was not just a great historical event, but it was a demonstration of the powers of another world. It was in fact at the very heart of what we call the Gospel – which is the good news that our God is creating a whole new order – people redeemed by the precious blood of Jesus Christ when they place their faith in Him.
Jesus Christ is alive! He is alive, but not just in His spirit, but in His glorified body. He has triumphed over a long era where death reigned over all and He has reversed that process which began with man’s fall in Eden.
Many years ago, I met a friend whose 11-year-old son had been killed by a hit and run driver. As I told him how sorry I was for his loss, he relied, “Leonard, as I stood at my son’s grave, all I could say was, ‘thank God for the resurrection. I know I will see my son again.’”
A. We Must Consider First of All – Why He Came.
Note: It is obvious that Jesus knew why He had come into this world. Let’s hear what He said – Luke 19:10, “For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.” Mark 10:45, “The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”
Note: The word ‘RANSOM’ is clearly connected to the idea of ‘REDEMTION’. The ransom was the price that was paid to purchase freedom or deliverance.
· Christ’s shed blood on the cross was the ransom price He paid to deliver us from sin. Rom. 3:23-26.
· Christ’s death satisfies Divine judgement against sinners (that’s us).
· It is because God loves us that He sent His Son to give His life for us. John 3:16; 1 Peter 1:18-21.
B. Christ’s Resurrection Is Essential for Our Redemption.
Note: God’s plan for our redemption was not an after- thought.
· This was the plan before the beginning of creation. 1 Peter 1:20-21
C. How Do We Know That Christ Was Resurrected?
1. There can be no doubt that Jesus died while on the cross. Matt. 27:50; John 19:31-34
a. He was removed from the cross and was buried. John 19:38-42
2. Following His execution, He was buried in a tomb owned by Joseph of Arimathea. (Gerd Ludemann, an atheist historian said that the historical evidence for Jesus execution was indisputable.)
3. The next evidence we have for Jesus resurrection was the empty tomb.
a. On the first Easter Morning, some women came and found the stone rolled away and the tomb empty. Matt. 28:1-8 (Later Peter and John saw for themselves that the tomb was empty.)
b. The strongest evidence of all was the testimony of His enemies who guarded His tomb. Matt. 28:4, 11-15. (The guards and authorities made up stories about why the tomb was empty.)
4. There were eyewitnesses who saw Jesus Himself. Over the next forty days, Jesus appeared to:
· His disciples several times.
· To individuals.
· To groups – on one occasion, 500 saw that He was alive.
5. The exchanged lives of His disciples.
a. A number of them fled from Him at Gethsemane.
b. Several were dismayed and discouraged. Luke 24:21
c. Some were huddled for fear in the upper room. John 20:19
d. Yet in a matter of weeks, they are consumed and compelled with a boldness that far surpassed the cowardice they had shown. Acts 5:40-42
There is much more that we could share about the resurrection, but I close with this thought. Christianity is an experiential faith. It is a faith to be personally experienced by understanding, encounter and commitment to One who has already committed Himself to us. Jesus Christ is our living, loving LORD.
We meet Him in the gospel, we encounter Him in its preaching and we experience Him by faith.
This is where experiencing Christ begins, Jesus told a learned teacher named Nicodemus, “No one can see the kingdom of God unless his is born again.” (John 3:3). This, birth is initiated by the Holy Spirit and to be responded to by faith on our part. When we do, we will experience the reality of His resurrection. I pray each of you will meet and know the risen Christ in a personal and on-going way.
He is alive!
ANNOUNCEMENTS & EVENTS
1. Let’s Make This the Best Easter Ever!
It will be a great day at Jubilee. Be sure you invite others to come and experience it with you. Many non-church goers are very receptive to an invitation at Easter. Please pray for a great out-pouring of God’s Spirit this Sunday.
2. Due to it being Easter, the Adult Bible Class, “Faith-Aid” will not meet this Sunday.
3. Ladies, you are invited to the short-term Bible Study that will go from April 24th to May 8th. The study is titled, “The Rock, the Road, and the Rabbi”. The cost is $5. You can sign-up at the Information Table.
4. Jubilee Pictorial Directory --- this is really an incredible tool. It will help you to become familiar with people who are a part of our church family. The cost is $15. And, it is really worth it. For those of you who have a directory, be sure to pick-up the updates at the Information Table.
5. This week at the Men’s Breakfast and Bible Study, Pastor Leonard will be starting a very important study on the Holy Spirit. I hope you can be present. Bring a friend. We meet every Thursday at 6 AM.
6. Did you know Jubilee has a “Covenant of Membership”? If you are not a member and are interested in becoming one, just ask for a copy of the covenant. The Welcome Card, in the chair pocket, will give you an opportunity to express your interest in becoming a member.
7. Have you asked Christ to come into your heart? If you are a believer and would like to profess your faith through baptism, please make note on the Welcome Card, in the chair pocket.
8. Are You the Answer to our Need?
We need someone to develop and maintain our website. Do you have any experience in this area? If you do and would be willing to help us, give Pastor Leonard a call. 805-535-4325
9. MONDAY, APRIL 22ND, you can help support the Good News Clubs. Child Evangelism Fellowship is having a fund raiser at Presto Pasta. CEF will receive 20% of the profits made that day when “Good News Club” is mentioned. 5722 Telephone Rd. Ventura or 1701 Daily Dr., Camarillo.
Just A Word of Encouragement ---
I love it when you fill out one of connect cards and leave me a note, a prayer request or to let me know that you have received Christ as your Savior. That news really blesses me. For those who prayed to receive Christ, I just want to say, “Praise God and welcome to His family.”
When you invite Christ to come in and take over your life, you don’t have to pray that prayer again because He promises He will never leave you. Instead, every time I give an invitation, let me encourage you to say, “Thank you LORD that You have already come in and that You will never leave me.”
Here is another thing you can do. Check the box where it says, “I would like to be baptized.” That is what Jesus wants you to do as a witness that you have received Him as your Savior.
God bless you as you follow Him and grow in your faith relationship with Him.